MicroProfile, an Open-Source Community that collaborates on enterprise Java microservices, would like to announce the release of MicroProfile 5.0.
MicroProfile 5.0 enables MicroProfile APIs to be used together with Jakarta EE 9.1 (Jakarta EE namespace). This release was mainly focused on updating dependencies from javax to jakarta, as well as overall stability and usability improvements.
MicroProfile 5.0 lays the foundation for the rapid innovation of MicroProfile APIs for its 2022 releases.
[Required] Passing the 8 MicroProfile Specification TCKs
- MicroProfile Config 3.0
- MicroProfile Fault Tolerance 4.0
- MicroProfile Health 4.0
- MicroProfile JWT Authentication 2.0
- MicroProfile Metrics 4.0
- MicroProfile OpenAPI 3.0
- MicroProfile OpenTracing 3.0
- MicroProfile Rest Client 3.0
[Optional] Passing the 5 Jakarta Specification TCKs
- CDI (Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection) 3.0.0
- JAX-RS (Jakarta RESTful Web Services) 3.0.0
- JSON-B (Jakarta JSON Binding) 2.0.0
- JSON-P (Jakarta JSON Processing) 2.0.1
- Jakarta Annotations 2.0.0
The Compatibility Certification Request (CCR) accepts any version matching Java SE 8 or higher. The compatible implementation for releasing MicroProfile 5.0 is Open Liberty 184.108.40.206-beta. The test results for MicroProfile 5.0 can be viewed from here. This Open Liberty blog has more information for you to get started with MicroProfile 5.0.
The release follows the new MicroProfile Specification Process that adds agility to the release process to meet the MicroProfile three times per-year (February, June & October) release cadence.
Each specification included in MicroProfile 5.0 has updated its dependencies from javax to jakarta. Therefore, this release introduces incompatible changes.
MicroProfile 5.0 component specification updates
Figure 1: MicroProfile Specifications
Figure 1 outlines the specifications included in MicroProfile 5.0 and standalone specifications. The MicroProfile 5.0 component specification updates are outlined below and also available in the MicroProfile 5.0 presentation.
Additional benefits include:
- Richer specification integration
- No vendor lock-in. Interoperability across different MicroProfile implementations provides users the freedom to select one or combine many MicroProfile implementations in a microservices architecture.
- Annotation-based and programmatic APIs
- MicroProfile Starter for MicroProfile project generation
- A command-line interface (CLI) to generate gradle or maven projects.
The MicroProfile community is thriving and always on the lookout for new members to join the family. This Open Source community cares about its members and will do its best to keep the hurdles of getting involved as low as possible. Join us!
Get your projects started with:
Join a MicroProfile live-discussion:
Participate in the MicroProfile Mailing forums:
MP 5.0 Release Stewards: