MicroProfile, an Open-Source Community that collaborates on enterprise Java microservices, would like to announce the release of MicroProfile 4.1.
MicroProfile 4.1 is the 2nd version released by the recently-formed MicroProfile Working Group. This is the first release defining the compatible implementation requirements, as follows.
- [Required] Passing the 8 MicroProfile Specification TCKs
- [Optional] Passing the 5 Jakarta Specification TCKs
The Compatibility Certification Request (CCR) requirement regarding compatibility with Java SE 8 has been lifted to any version matching Java SE 8 or higher. The release follows the new MicroProfile Specification Process, a compatible specialization of the Eclipse Foundation Specification Process, that adds agility to the release process to continue to meet the MicroProfile three times per-year (February, June & October) release cadence.
Finally, MicroProfile Health included in the MicroProfile 4.1 platform has been updated with new features to meet the needs of its growing developer base while the other 7 MicroProfile specifications remain unchanged. As a minor release, MicroProfile 4.1 does not include incompatible changes.
MicroProfile 4.1 component specification updates
Figure 1: MicroProfile Specifications
Figure 1 outlines the specifications included in MicroProfile 4.1 and standalone specifications. The MicroProfile 4.1 component specification updates are outlined below and are also available in the MicroProfile 4.1 presentation.
- MicroProfile Health 3.1
- Added @Startup qualifier for the Kubernetes startup probes health check procedures
- Introduction of /health/started endpoint that must call all the startup procedures
- Specified the mp.health.default.startup.empty.response config property
- Specification release (changes)
Additional benefits include:
- Richer specification integration
- Interoperability across different MicroProfile implementations provides users the freedom to select one or combine many MicroProfile implementations in a microservices architecture
- Annotation-based and programmatic APIs
- MicroProfile Starter for MicroProfile project generation
The MicroProfile community is thriving and always on the lookout for new members to join the family. This Open Source community cares about its members and will do its best to keep the hurdles of getting involved as low as possible. Join us!
Get your projects started with:
Join a MicroProfile live-discussion:
Participate in the MicroProfile google forum: